Monday, May 24, 2010

The Seasoned Life

I’ve finally started writing my first book. It is titled, “The Seasoned Life”, A Story about an Imperfect Christian. The book is inspired by another book, “Blue Like Jazz”. I recently listened to an audio reading of “Blue Like Jazz” and was compelled to write my own book. I am not writing a cheapened version or even a like version of it, but after listening to the book it made me realize my life, so unique yet original, so tragic yet blessed, so hard yet fun could not go without sharing. I feel that through experiences, opportunities and encounters as an imperfect Christian I can relate and encourage all people from every direction.

The title of the book “The Seasoned Life” came about from a discussion I was having awhile ago with a close friend of mine. We were discussing how we both were notorious for reading a chunk of a book and not finishing it. My friend, who is very wise, shared with me how people might read part of a book and not finish it because it is not the right season for it. That seemed a little philosophical for me, so I just blamed it on my laziness and amazingly slow reading ability. The more I thought about that though the more I realized how true that is. There have been books in my life that I start reading and I absolutely cannot put them down and it is not because they were better than all the other books, it is because it was the right season. Also, I’ve started reading some amazing books before, but for some reason, never finished them. It was not the right season.

Just as there is a right season for reading books, I believe that it is similar in our lives. My thoughts are that we go through different seasons in our lives. Not necessarily like fall, winter, spring and summer but at the same time just like that, but metaphorically. I think that in the seasons of our lives we go through change, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Realizing the change is important though, because what we don’t realize most of the time is that through the seasons of our lives, we tend to set aside common things in our lives, things that are important, but through the specific season aren’t so apparent anymore. Just like how we do not go swimming at the lake in the middle of winter even though that is something we love to do. Just like how we do not wear heavy wool coats, and big colorful poofy hats in summer time because it’s not the right season. Yet we still have those things, they don’t just go away, they will eventually come back to us when the season is right. . . . .

There is so much more to the seasons of life and I hope to continue writing chapter after chapter about how my seasons of life led me to God and how imperfect I am, yet still loved more than I could ever know. I hope to explain more about how I see life and its trials and joys as seasons and how they relate to the seasons we go through four times a year. It will be fun and I know that I have many stories of people, places and just stuff in my life that have led me to where I am at right now. Stay tuned for an up and coming chapter I will share from my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment